Skip to content

About

ASWA BACKGROUND

ASWA was formed in 1938 to increase the opportunities for women in all fields of accounting and finance. The first chapter was chartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Members include partners in national, regional and local CPA firms, financial officers, controllers, academicians, financial analysts and data processing consultants, recent college graduates and women returning to the work force. The majority of our members have attained professional certifications such as CPA, CMA, CIA, and CFP. Members of The American Society of Women Accountants and their companies benefit from practical resources and benefit programs that strengthen their professional growth. ASWA members tap into an extensive knowledge base of accounting and finance professionals and technical expertise to provide solutions for the most complex issues.  Our members communicate both virtually and in-person through online discussion forums, national and regional conferences and chapter meetings.  For more on ASWA’s history and opportunities, please visit our national website at http://aswa.org

HISTORY OF THE FLAGSTAFF CHAPTER # 135

The local Flagstaff chapter of ASWA (Chapter # 135) was chartered December 3, 1982 by Kay Pitt.  Along with several other ladies, Kay would travel to Phoenix to attend their chapter meetings and they all agreed one night while driving back to Flagstaff at midnight that Flagstaff needed its own local chapter.  With the help of Lyle Smalley, the Chapter Development Director of the Phoenix chapter, Kay set things in motion and 27 years later is still an active member of our chapter.  She was the first President of Chapter # 135 and remembers that their first meeting was held at Little America with speaker Larry Gardner, an NAU faculty member at the time.  JoAnne Dooley, ASWA’s national president, even attended the event which hosted approximately 20-25 new members.